History is filled with people who have overcome both real and self imposed personal challenges. Here are just a few examples of people who have overcome challenges to become successful and inspire others that they can overcome their challenges as well:
- Stephen Hawking (unable to speak or walk)
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt (unable to walk)
- Teddy Roosevelt (overcame severe childhood illnesses)
- Matt and Amy Roloff, both 4 feet tall (physical & health challenges)
- Richard Branson, Thomas Edison, George Burns, Leonardo Da Vinci (dyslexia)
- Dan Ackroyd, Howard Hughes (Tourettes Syndrome)
- Ludwig Van Beethoven; Lou Ferrigno, Johnnie Ray (deaf)
- Helen Keller (deaf & blind)
- Dudley Moore, Gary Burghoff, Mia Hamm, Kristi Yamaguchi (club foot)
Some of these folks just decided they will deal with their challenge, not be a victim to it. Others sought professional help from medical doctors, psychologists, or mental health professionals and overcame a challenge that keeps many similarly challenged people from leading a full and rewarding life.
The goal of SkinnyDeeping™ is to inspire people to overcome their challenges through the stories of people who have overcome theirs. While most of the examples above are of physical challenges, every day people overcome phobias (snakes, planes, ‘snakes on planes,’ clowns, etc), poor self image (too fat, too thin, too tall, too short, too ethnic, too ugly, too pretty), addictions (alcohol, drugs, etc), mental illness, or other self critical images.
If the stories we tell inspire you or a friend to overcome a personal challenge then we have hit a home run. At a minimum, we hope these stories will inspire and entertain you while revealing that people who have physical and mental challenges can live happy and rewarding lives.
We look forward to you joining us as we go SkinnyDeeping™ together.